Europe is a little ways ahead of North America on its progressive agenda. Based on Shelbi Heenan’s case — not by much.
Shelbi Heenan was a nurse at a Missouri hospital, with ‘was‘ being the operand word. She was fired by St. Luke’s Health System in Kansas City. The reason, although not specifically stated, was due to the sharing of a photograph online of Heenan from 2009 that showed her wearing a Halloween costume of Beyoncé. This involved a wig, and dark makeup Before we dig into this, let’s take a look at St. Luke’s apology over the firing of Nurse Heenan [my emphasis].
While it is against Saint Luke’s policy to comment on specific personnel matters, we can confirm that this individual is no longer a Saint Luke’s employee. Saint Luke’s is deeply committed to our culture of diversity and inclusion. It is fundamental to who we are as an organization and we vigorously protect it on behalf of all our patients and employees and expect those who represent us to do the same. [Press statement from SLHS]
This is not the best ‘apology’ out there, but it’s very recent and it does give us a quick glimpse into the progressive mind. The first thing I put to you is that these statements, now given almost daily from news organizations, private employers, the government, is that this is not an apology. No – it is an oath; an Oath of Allegiance to the progressive agenda. Let’s take a look at some of the contents of the oath.
- diversity; inclusion: These are by-now near-standard descriptors used ubiquitously around the public sector and many private organizations. To these can add equality, tolerance, resilience, and a host of others. It is worth noting that these are not Western ‘values‘, as is so often repeated ad nauseam in these instances. No – these are ‘government-values‘*, specifically designed to reduce the range of thought and action, and to increase control over what you can say and think. (And wear.)
- fundamental to who we are: This is often included in oaths, and it’s one of my favorites. It indicates that your entire organization is committed to the progressive agenda, and no dissent, not even from a single person, shall be brooked.
- protect: This is an important one. It’s all well and good stating that you will oust the unbeliever, but statements like these indicate that the committed organization is doing this – wait for it – the greater good! It’s a healthy message to show your progressive credentials when your organization says that all it wants to do is to protect everyone from the evil that obviously inhabits this sick individual.
As noted, this is not a great Oath, but I’m sure it will work fine for St. Luke’s. They’ve ‘apologized’. They’ve summarily dismissed the hated individual. The only thing left to do after the witch has been punished is reeducation.
- Fire (or burn) the Witch
- Seek penance from the great Oath-Listener
- Begin the Great Inquisition
So, as Heenan, with her wig and dark makeup, join the unemployment lines**, the fine folks at St. Luke’s can look forward to a few days of learning the ins-and-outs of allowed Halloween dress.
* You might want to research aspects of chivalric code, and the moral expectations of a Victorian gentleman, as a starting point on what are the true values of Western civilization. Examples of real ‘values’ include: honor, bravery, valor, chivalry, fighting evil, defending your country, respecting King and country, etc.
** This aspect is so often lost to us. As this ‘great evil’ is of course continually washed through the 24/7 news-cycle, the focus is on some amorphous, aggrieved ‘community’, and an equally amorphous, oppressor ‘community’. Meanwhile Heenan goes home to her family with no job. Just another soon-to-be-nameless progressive casualty…