Let’s have some fun with the ‘pinking of society‘ today! It’s so slow and yet so profound isn’t it? You look at that snail – damn if it’s not moving at all! If you come back in an hour it’s moved right across the driveway (if it’s lucky). Societal norms can move this way too; you don’t watch for a little bit and then when you come back there’s a big change.
Much of what we see around us in this socially-engineered experiment called ‘being alive‘ seems to include the elimination and demonization of male characteristics like strength, individualism and indifference with passivity, collectivism and empathy. It seems there are no allowed places for maleness except as examples of derision and scorn. In this lighthearted vein let’s use one article as a foil [see here].
You see perhaps Roberts came back after an hour and noticed a big change. Or perhaps he just wants to be the best; perhaps he thinks he can notice things his way and have his own opinion regardless of what anyone else thinks; perhaps he just doesn’t give a crap – who knows? What is for sure is that snail has crossed the driveway and Roberts must be punished. Nothing may be allowed to just slide in today’s version of ‘being alive‘.
Here’s the mandatory quote against Roberts’ lack of awareness and emotional intelligence:
While fostering a work environment that is inclusive of all talent is a collective responsibility, it is leadership’s job to nurture the career aspirations and goals of all our talent. Promoting gender equality starts at the top and the Groupe will not tolerate anyone speaking for our organization who does not value the importance of inclusion. [Maurice Levy, Publicis Chief Executive]
And now let’s poke some fun at Publicis for being so pink and girly and frilly:
- fostering: a thing that parents do with a child; it’s not a term adults should be using between themselves
- work environment: job
- inclusive/inclusion: a term losers use when they are unable to compete with the best
- nurture: a thing that a mother does with her baby; it’s not a term adults should be using between themselves
- gender equality: there are two genders and they were created by God to deliberately never be the same; also, there is no equality in the sense that we are all unique individuals created with our own talents and frailties
- tolerate: a punishment word used against those who refuse to conform
If any female sensibilities have been hurt by this post, who cares. And now I’ve got to head outside – there’s a snail out there somewhere with my boot’s name on it.